Friday, October 27, 2006

Books, Books, Books

I'm finishing up American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation by Jon Meacham (managing editor of Newseek magazine). It is a balanced look at how the founders were determined not to let religion overrun the government, but were aware of the fact that religion was a part of the culture and country they were helping to establish.

My father recently me sent me the following note:

"Here is a URL that identifies 50 books that have influenced evangelicals.
Some books that I have read, but most of which I have not read yet.
What's your opinion? What would you add to this list?
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/october/23.51.html"

So I was curious. Have you read any of these books? Any of these you recommend?
Any you'd use for kindling?

There are books on this list I'd put on each category.

Interesting that this list is only 20th century. What does it say about us if we are part of a religion that is 2,000 years old (and our Jewish roots go back farther than that) and we're most influenced by stuff that happened a couple of years ago?

Anyway, what books have shaped how you see and interact with God?

Are there any out there now that you'd like to read?

Just curious.

Grace & peace.

No comments: