Wednesday, February 7, 2007

In the Face of Danger or Opposition

31-1.

That's the record of the Hebrew children in their battles in the first 12 chapters of the Book of Joshua. 31 wins. 1 defeat. (You can read about the defeat in chapter 7.) And even that defeat they avenged in chapter 8.

At the beginning of the campaign, they were given an unofficial slogan. "Be strong and courageous."

Now they hear Joshua saying it again, as he has his boot on the neck of kings who came to attack Israel's friends. (10:25) "Be strong and courageous. This is what the LORD will do to all the enemies you're going to fight."

Courage is defined as "That quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or opposition with fearlessness." (Funk and Wagnall's)

Do you have "danger or opposition" in your life? I bet you do. I think we all do.

For some of us it shows up as the inability to control a habit. (It may be greed, lust, or anger.)

For some of us it shows up as the an attitude that runs part of our life. (It may be unforgiveness or pride because I don't think I have such opposition in MY life.)

For some it is a wayward child.

For some it is a faltering marriage.

For some it is a failing body and broken spirit.

For some it is a fixation with others who are so rude, loud, or generally thoughtless in the things they say and the things they do.

The temptation for a lot of us is to say, "That's just the way I am" and decide we're going to live with it.

To that I say, "Be strong and courageous."

Ask God to help you conquer this enemy within you.

Here's a prayer that might be helpful. Would you consider whispering it to God, right now, right where you're at?

"I need help. This enemy in me has been getting the best of me. I want so desperately to cut it down, chop it up, and get it out of me. But I can't do it. If I'd been able to, it would have been gone by now. So I'm asking you to help me. I'm not dictating to you HOW or WHEN. I'm simply asking you, begging you to step in and give me strength and courage. Thank you."

I'm interested to know if you prayed that prayer. Let me know if you want to. And I'll be praying with you.

Grace & peace

No comments: