Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joyful Noise

I'm getting ready to do my part for Vacation Bible School (August 4-8) here at the church.
I work with the kids on the music for the week.

Last night I received the CD and the book of songs. This weekend I'll begin to learn it.

Yesterday I was praying for VBS. And I was dreaming:

- Dreaming of a room full of loud kids who are excited about God

- Dreaming about adults who are learning the stories and songs with the passion of a child

- Dreaming about a God who enjoys people learning about Him

This scripture came to my mind:

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs. (Psalm 100:1)


That's from the New International Version.

The old King James Version I remember reading as a child translates that first phrase this way:

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD...

A "joyful noise".

What are joyful noises you hear?

A baby cooing.

A group of friends laughing.

An engine starting. (If it didn't start before, that would be joyful, wouldn't it?)

The "SMACK" of the baseball off of a wood bat.

Your favorite song.

A babbling brook or waves against the shore.

Apparently God enjoys our praise of Him in that same way we enjoy our favorite noises.

So I invite you today to make a "joyful noise" in your car, or your shower, or your favorite chair. Use your ipod or your voice. Do it in silence or at full voice.

But either way, make a joyful noise.

Grace & peace

No comments: