Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Jars of Clay

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (2 Corinthians 4:7, NIV)

I've been thinking about believers I know and work with. I've been thinking about how imperfect we are ("jars of clay") and yet how perfectly God is able to use us anyway.
I'm thinking of an older couple who is providing snacks for kids this week at Vacation Bible School, even though they don't have any children or grandchildren at our church.

I'm thinking of a grandmother who spent time in the kitchen at VBS last night, even though she didn't have to, just because "there's always extra work to do".

I'm thinking of a business professional who spent all day yesterday at work, then came to church to teach kids the story of creation, and did it with passion.

I'm thinking of a woman whose children are grown, but who made sure children from two other families were able to be at church last night. She went and brought them to VBS.

The list can go on and on.

People who are cooking and providing food, at their own expense, even though they don't have kids in the group.

People who are giving time and energy they could be spending a thousand other ways, because they know the importance of investing in kids for the Kingdom's sake.

They are living, breathing, walking, talking examples to me of God's "jars of clay".

They're ordinary.

They're regular, run-of-the-mill, salt-of-the-earth people.

But they have something spectacular going on in and around them.

And I thank God for them.

Grace & peace

No comments: