Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why Wait?

"I know Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he." (John 4:25-26)

Waiting can be OK.

We want our kids to wait to cross the street until they have looked both ways and determined it is clear.

We want our cars to wait to move until everyone is buckled in.

We want people to wait to get face to face with us until they have brushed their teeth in the morning or popped that after dinner breath mint into their mouth to cover up the garlic and onion.

Sometimes waiting is OK.

.But sometimes waiting is procrastinating. Putting off until later what would be better done immediately.

Jesus met a woman at the well of Sychar in Samaria. He started a conversation with her that would change her life and the lives of many in that little town.

Several times in the conversation she was wanting to put off a real, meaningful, life-changing interaction with him. She had already tried to point to the differences between her people (the Samaritans) and Jesus' people (the Jews) as a reason not to find agreement. "We worship in different places," she proptested. Jesus knocks down the protest.

Then in verse 25 she throws up her last attempt to put off a decision. "I'll wait for the Messiah. We'll know for sure when he arrives on the scene." Seems reasonable. Except....Jesus is the One.

"I who speak to you am he."

We read the passage, shake our heads, chuckle to ourselves, and think, "Silly gal. He was right there in front of you and you wanted to wait."

However, we often leave the story and think to ourselves, "If only God were that real and close right now."
At my workplace. At my school. In my family. In my relationships. In the midst of my difficulty.

And all the while the Spirit of God whispers to us, "I who speak to you am he."

I wonder...

What great work does God want to begin today in or around us?

Where is He trying to WAKE US UP to the fact that He is already miraculously on the move?

May we have our eyes opened to His movement and our ears unstopped to His voice today.

May we confess, "You ARE here. I AM ready to respond."

Grace & peace

No comments: