Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Landslide

Have you voted yet today?

I will take advantage of a relatively open morning schedule and hope to go when the line is shorter.

I was thinking: I'm a bit of a political geek. I will spend a significant amount of my evening watching election returns. I'll watch some states go red and others go blue. I'll here the phrases, "Too close to call" or "We're ready to call this race..."

I'll pay attention to the various proposals and excitedly watch to see what passes and what goes down in defeat. I anticipate some results will make me happy. Some won't.

But I stumbled across some reminders that put things in perspective. The Psalmist writes:

My heart is stirred by a noble theme (it's not healthcare or tax breaks)

as I recite my verses for the king (when is the last time you read God's Word back to Him?)

Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever (no worries about term limits here!)

a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom (a leader who is all He appears to be...AND SO MUCH MORE!)

I will perpetuate your memory through all generations;
therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever (victory is guaranteed!) (Psalm 45:1, 6, 17 NIV)

How will you "perpetuate" God's name today?

Sometimes the early election results look good. Sometimes they look devastating. But God's promise is sure: He has no equal and He WILL reign forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, amen.

No polls needed. No fear of filibuster (though it seems like it, doesn't it?).

So cast your vote today:

- prayerfully

- and with the confidence that our God reigns.

May Your Kingdom come. May Your will be done.

Grace & peace

No comments: