Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shaped By Psalm 27

ou're in trouble.

Maybe it's with the boss.

Maybe it's with finances.

Maybe it's with a family member.

Whatever.

But you need help. What are you gonna do?

Panic?

Complain?

Throw a fit?

Self medicate?

Try to forget it and hope "it" goes away?

We are shaped by our past decisions to go with what has previously "worked" for us. We all have our "gods" we go to when times are rough; things, habits or thought patterns we turn to and look for deliverance.

It is in times like these that we need to have Scripture tucked away in our brains and in our hearts. Listen to what the Psalmist says:

The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall. (Psalm 27:1-2 NIV)

Did you notice the images that have shaped the writer's response?

God is my light and my salvation.
God is the stronghold of my life.

The Psalmist has been shaped by the truth of who God is. The mind has been trained to think of these pictures and find hope and confidence in them. The heart has been conditioned to go to them in order to recover strength and peace.

What is shaping your life today?

May you turn to God-given resources (Scripture, prayer, Godly friends, God-centered music, times of quiet and contemplation) in order to be shaped by Him.

Grace & peace

No comments: