Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thank You! Yes! And Amen!

A big THANK YOU to all of you for the many kind words and generous acts to us in October.

Pastor Appreciation Month and my 42nd birthday give you excuses this month for the wonderful way you treat us all year long. My family and I greatly appreciate it!

I have told my children several times to notice the way you have treated us and that they should "go and do likewise" to their pastors as they become adults and attend churches of their own. Your faithfulness to Christ and those who seek to serve you will become replicated in the lives of our children. Keep up the great example!!

I've continued to mull over the idea of the word "amen" (which is also occasionally translated "verily" or "truly" in other contexts). One of the passages we looked at Sun. included 2 Cor. 1:20:

For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.

God's "Yes" in Christ turns into a resounding "Amen" by us when we are obedient to the Spirit's nodding, prodding, prompting, and behooving (to quote Steven Curtis Chapman).

One song we sometimes sing was mentioned to me by Rene Eiseman after the sermon. It goes like this,

I'll say Yes! Lord, Yes!
To Your will and to Your way
I'll say Yes! Lord, Yes!
I will trust you and obey
When your Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I'll agree
And my answer will be
Yes! Lord, Yes!

Are you like me? I sometimes I say and sing better than I live.

Sometimes my response is less of a full-throated YES! and more of a half-hearted "maybe".

God asks:

Are you willing to turn the other cheek? I'm surprised at the question and respond, "I suppose".

Are you willing to bless those who curse you? "Sometimes."

Are you denying yourself, taking up your cross and following me? "I'm working on it."

It is at times like this I need to run back to scripture and see what God's promises are to you and me.

In the first letter to the church at Corinth we read that the all-surpassing treasure of the knowledge and presence of God has been deposited, not into superhuman, superholy, superstars.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (1 Co. 4:7)

The power of God's promises, God's YES! at work in my sorry, pitiful, little life. It's my only hope today. How 'bout you?

Grace & peace

No comments: