Wednesday, August 2, 2006

What Does God Want from Me??

Ever ask that question?

I’m sure many, if not most of us have wrestled with that one from time to time. In the middle of a quandary about a decision we have to make, or wondering what direction to turn for help and relief, we may pose the query like a frustrated traveler on an unfamiliar road and without a map.

I came across a scripture recently that gave me some encouragement on the subject. 1 Samuel 3:1 reads:

“…And the word of the LORD was rare in those days; there was no widespread revelation.” (NKJV)

“How could THAT verse bring comfort?!” you are probably wondering. Here are two reasons.

First, the verse describes a time long, long ago when God is getting ready to speak. And, interestingly enough, God is getting ready to speak through a child; a child who “did not yet know the LORD, nor was the word of the LORD yet revealed to him” (3:7). He is an unlikely choice indeed!

The second reason I find this passage encouraging is that the teaching of the Church through Scripture is that we no longer live in an age when the word of the LORD is rare. We believe that since Pentecost (Acts 2), God’s Spirit is readily available to “whoever calls upon the name of the LORD”.

So here’s the Good News:

1. If God’s activity has seemed to be absent or infrequent in my life, maybe He is getting ready to act.

2. If God’s word has seemed rare in my life, quite possibly it has more to do with ME than God. Maybe He is waiting for me quiet my heart and mind through silent waiting in prayer. Maybe He is longing to meet me in reading the scripture. Maybe He has something special for me in the next gathering of my church family in worship or a small group.

May God help me get ready to hear His word for my life.

Grace & peace,
Pastor Jeff

No comments: