Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Psalm 143

Ever living in the midst of confusion and pain? I recently came across this passage and thought it might be helpful to you next time your facing similar circumstances.

O LORD, hear my prayer,
listen to my cry for mercy;
in your faithfulness and righteousness
come to my relief.

Don't you appreciate the honesty of the Psalmist? I get the feeling he is yelling the preceding verses ("hear my cry"). Or at least he's voicing them with great intensity and emotion.

Do not bring your servant into judgment,
for no one is righteous before you.

Good to be reminded that God is the only One who is truly righteous. Before Him, the best you and I bring are like filthy rags. We sometimes want to paint ourselves as 100% innocent and others as 100% guilty. Usually not the case, is it?

I remember the days of long ago;
I meditate on all your works
and consider what your hands have done.

Good habits to get into, aren't they?

"Remember" times in the past when God has been close to you.

"Consider" all the ways God has blessed your life. Things He has done just for you. Take a minute and list 3 of them right now. See if it doesn't change your disposition.

1.____________
2.____________
3.____________




Answer me quickly, O LORD;
my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me
or I will be like those who go down to the pit

"Answer me quickly!"

Good luck.

Sometimes He chooses to answer quickly.

Sometimes He decides s-l-o-w-l-y is better.

But I like that you and I aren't the only ones who pray this. (You've prayed it too, haven't you?) The Psalmist does too!


Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.

Don't you appreciate that David believes in better days? God may or may not have provided the answer we were looking for today. But David now looks ahead to tomorrow. May "the morning" be the place you meet me, if not today or tonight. What a great statement of faith. He continues to look ahead and believe.

Show me the way I should go;
for to you I lift up my soul.

Always a good prayer to pray. David continues to look for guidance, in the midst of the confusion and trouble. May you and I do the same.

Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD,
for I hide myself in you. (Ps. 143:1-2ff)

This is not the 1st time David has mentioned "enemies". He mentions them in verses 3,9, and 12.

David's enemies were easy to spot. People were trying to kill him! They were probably pretty easy to spot.

But I wonder, how often we "mislabel" our enemies. How often do we name our enemies as people when really our fight is against depression, fear of rejection, a power struggle to have our own way, impatience, or a host of other "enemies"?

In your unfailing love, silence my enemies, destroy all my foes, for I am your servant.

May God help us to trust in His unfailing love, to wait until He reveals it, and continue to form and shape us into the servants He has called us to be.

Grace & peace

No comments: