Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What Does God Want from Me?

With what shall I come before the LORD,
and bow myself before God on high?
He has told you, o mortal, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, to love kindness
and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:6,8 NRSV)

What does God want from you?

It is a question the prophet Micah asks.

Does God want ritual? "Shall I come with burnt offerings?"

Does God want extravagant productions of sacrifice? "Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams and ten thousands of rivers of oil?"

Does God want us to suffer? "Shall I give my firstborn?"

No. God wants us to do justice, love kindness, and to walk humbly with Him.

That's not an easy balance to strike, is it?

Some of us are good at calling for justice. Make it right. Make 'em pay. Wrongs must go away.

Some of us are good at mercy and kindness. You're forgiven. You are loved. No sin is too great to be overcome.

But how many of us can do both justice and mercy?

I am convinced humility is the key.

"Humility is a realistic way relating to self that counters...pride and shame." (Transforming Spirituality by Shults & Sandage)

Humility keeps me from thinking too highly of myself (pride).

But it also keeps me from beating myself up (shame).

Instead, humility is anchored in my relationship to a God, who created me, bought me again, and constantly resources me.

May God help us to strike the right balance as we give Him what He asks of us:

justice

mercy

humbly walking with Him

Grace & peace

No comments: