Monday, February 2, 2009

My Heritage

Their names are like a roll call in my mind of God's saints:

Rev. & Mrs. E.K. Himes of western Pennsylvania.

Rev. & Mrs. Tracy Crowder from sourthern Indiana.

They were my grandparents. And I was thinking of them this morning as I read Psalm 61:5...

For you have heard my vows, O God;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. (italics added)

I was thinking of them because for me, they are the major part of the heritage that was passed on through my parents.

I was thinking of them because their faithfulness to Jesus calls me to be faithful too.

I was thinking of them because the heritage I have received now calls us to pass it along to children God has given me and Tammi.

I was thinking of them because who I am as a man, as a father, as a husband, and as a pastor is largely as a result of that heritage.

I was thinking of them because their modeling the Christlike life for me inspires me as I ask God to allow the Spirit to work through me.

I was thinking of them as I invite you to either live up to the heritage you have been given (if you have been shown faithful examples of what it means to live for God)

OR

...to start a Godly heritage of your own (if your family of origin didn't give you such a heritage).

The Psalmist's words at the end of this chapter are mine and I hope they are yours too:

...I will ever sing praise to your name
and fulfill my vows day after day (61:8).

May God help you TODAY to fulfill your vows to and live worthy of such a heritage.

Grace & peace

No comments: