Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why I Pray

"Ancient words, ever true
Changing me, changing you."

Asking, "Why do I need to pray?" is probably a little like asking, "Why do I need to breathe." Everything else depends upon it.

The disciples were with Jesus nearly every day for three years. They watched him heal the sick, feed five thousand, teach with power, feed another four thousand, and you'd think their faith would be SET.

But in Mark 8:17-18 Jesus is frustrated with them.

...Do you still not see or understand?
Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes but fail to see,
and ears but fail to hear?
And don't you remember?...

My answer, if I am honest, is

"No, Lord, I do NOT remember. I'm HORRIBLE at remembering. I forget what You have done for me. I forget how You have proven yourself again and again. I am so easily distracted that this new challenge today seems overwhelming; unlike anything we've ever faced before...until I come into Your Presence and then in prayer, scripture, worship, or gathering with other believers, I'm reminded of Who You Are."

Then in a moment, the problem becomes diminished in the shadow of the One Who Was, the One Who Is, and the One Who Is to Come.

It is in activities such as prayer that I begin to understand.
It is in times of humble conversation with God that my heart becomes unhardened.
It is as I am still and interact with (or "know") God that scales fall down from my eyes so I can see and God graciously digs out ears into this block of wood I call my head so I can hear.

THAT is why I need to pray.

How 'bout you?

Grace & Peace

No comments: