Wednesday, May 6, 2009

6 Things God Hates

There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:

haughty eyes,

a lying tongue,

hands that shed innocent blood,

a heart that devises wicked schemes,

feet that are quick to rush into evil,

a false witness who pours out lies,

and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers. (Proverbs 6:16-19 NIV)

Any of those surprise you?

Probably not the lying or the false witness.

You'd probably agree the shedding of innocent blood is a problem.

No one likes the idea of people rushing to do evil or devising wickedness.

But haughty eyes (the KJV reads "a proud look")?

Is that really as bad as lying?

Apparently it is on God's scales of justice.

The word means "to exalt self" or to be "too high or lofty".

That gives insight into Psalm 131:1 which reads,

My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.

Sometimes we concern ourselves with matters we ought to leave to God.

I have a friend of mine who is fond of saying, "That is above my pay grade."

"Those issues are beyond me" is what he is saying.

I think we need to remind ourselves of that once in awhile.

And we need to always have that attitude, don't we?

The church has not always been know for its humility, have we?

Think about it. If this is an attitude GOD HATES, (that's what we read in Proverbs 6, right?), then it is an attitude we need to TRADE IN!! Get rid of. Or run from as fast as we can.

Do a check on yourself as you go through the day today:

- Do I consider myself better, smarter, or more deserving than others?

- How might that affect the way I am able to see God in that person's life? (Remember, "when you've done it to the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you've done it unto me"!)

May God help us to be in the process of being shaped into the image of Christ in our attitudes.

Grace & peace

No comments: