Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good and Faithful

In Matthew 25:14-30 Jesus describes the Kingdom of heaven as being like "a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them."

The property, or "talents" were handed out "according to (the) ability" of the servants.

I used to think of the application of this parable as challenging me as to how I use my talents, time, and money. And I think that is all appropriate. But I wonder...

What other gifts has God entrusted to me and how am I incorporating them into my life?

Think about it.

The Church is a gift God has given Christians. Do I make an effort to intentionally, regularly meet with other Christians? Or do I careless and easily neglect relationship with others?

Scripture has been entrusted to me. Have I made a commitment to get into God's word and get God's word into me? Do I meditate on it or do I do more of a "drive-thru" diet?

Prayer is something the Master has left with us. If my spiritual health depended upon how often God and I talk, how extensive those conversations are, what would my level of health be?

I recently read the following, "The penalty of not praying is the loss of one's capacity to pray!" (Edward J. Farrell Prayer is a Hunger).

But isn't the "penalty" not only a loss of "capacity" but a loss of "desire"? "I haven't been and I don't want to!"

I wonder if the same can't be said for other "gifts" God has given us, and other "disciplines" to which God has called us.

"I haven't been with other believers; I'm not really interested in meeting with them and talking about God."

"I haven't read my Bible. I don't see what the benefit would be for me to do so."

"I haven't been in the habit of praying. And I don't see any real interest on my part to change soon."

Later in the parable the Master tells two of the servants, "You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things."

Is it possible if we are not faithful in the areas where God's Spirit is challenging us, we shouldn't expect any new insight or blessing in other areas?

The Master calls those who were stewards, "Good and faithful". I want to be faithful with the gifts God has given me. I want to be filled with faith and show myself faithful to God.

As I heard another recently say, "I would like to think God has learned He can trust me with certain things." I do too. How 'bout you? Will God be able to call you "good and faithful"?

Grace & peace

No comments: