Monday, May 12, 2008

Psalm for a Monday

I cried to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the LORD;
at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted... (vv1-2)


Maybe you find yourself identifying with those words this morning. It is, after all a Monday.

Tired?

Low energy?

Lack of excitement?

High amount of stress and anxiety?

Worried about what the week holds?

Can't leave behind stuff that happened over the weekend?

Follow the example of the Psalmist:

Then I thought, "To this I will appeal:
the years of the right hand of the Most High."
I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds. (vv10-11)

Our thoughts and our attitude can can control us. Or we can control them.

The Psalmist makes a conscious effort. He will "appeal," "remember," "meditate...and consider".

Are you willing to initiate activity in this area? Or will you be a slave to circumstances and feelings?

May God help us take time to:

- "appeal" to the One who waits to help us

- "remember" his blessings. (How many can you name in the next 30 seconds?)

- "meditate...and consider" how the Spirit might be at work in your life today

Grace & peace

No comments: