Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Truth

Truth. It's a funny word. It looks so harmless. But start making "truth claims" and emotions skyrocket and blood pressures rise.

Are all truth claims equally valid?

You and I know it is not the case.

I can say "I am a father, a husband, a son, a man"

or

I can say "I am a canned ham".

One is true. One is...well, ridiculous.

Jesus said, "I came into the world to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
"What is truth?" Pilate asked. (John 18:37b-38a)


"What is truth?"

Many have asked that question and many ask it today too.

How many parents have decided not to teach their children anything about God because they're unsure "what is truth"? They'd rather teach nothing that teach the wrong thing. I can respect that. It's not the worst choice. But it's not the best choice either.

How many have decided truth is unknowable because they haven't been able to figure it out?

I bet you have friends who are in that same boat. They're not sure what to believe. So they believe nothing. Or they try and find their way along the road of faith, making it up as they go, believing a strange conglomeration of mix-and-match puzzle pieces. They live very unsure about truth.

Maybe that's the way you are.

As "a believer", I understand. I occasionally drift back and forth between being "dead certain" of particular things, to being unsure on others.

But none of us has to be completely bumfuzzled and lost on the issue of Truth!

Because Truth isn't simply a set of statements. Truth is a Person.

Jesus claimed, "I am the way and THE TRUTH and the life." (John 14:6)

In Christ, Truth walked the earth. Truth sat down and ate. Truth laughed and cried. Truth played with children and hugged friends and family. Truth became angry at injustice. Truth lived, died and lives again!

E. Stanley Jones wrote, "O Savior, You do not only save me, You save truth. (You) save it from being a proposition and made it into a Person. You did say, "I am the truth" and lo, Truth is lovable and livable and not a dry-as-dust proposition."

May we come to know Him who is the Truth, better. May we become more committed to the Truth. And as we do, may we seek to introduce Him into our relationships and conversations.

Grace & peace

No comments: